Carolina Yoga is the yoga school comprised of Carrboro Yoga, Durham Yoga, and Hillsborough Yoga in central North Carolina. Our advanced studies 500-hour yoga teacher training is for teachers who have completed a 200-hour teacher training, either with us or elsewhere. In the program, you’ll deepen your understanding of yoga pedagogy, philosophy, and professionalism and sharpen your skills so that you can better serve your students and your community. Upon graduation, you’ll be able to register for the Yoga Alliance 500 RYT designation.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program contains both required modules and electives. You’ll finish with a thorough grounding in alignment, anatomy, and yoga’s transformative tools, while having freedom to explore in depth the special topics that most interest you. The required and elective modules are all offered numerous times over the five-year period of your enrollment, so you can choose to complete them at your convenience. They do not need to be done in the order listed; choose the schedule that works for you.
- Core Curriculum, including alignment, assists, theme integration, language refinement, and key skills to elevate your teaching. This core curriculum involves a great deal of individual feedback and support. This module will meet once a month for six months on the third weekend of the month from September through April 2016–17, with no class in December (90-hour multiweekend module). See and register for the six-month core curriculum here.
In odd-numbered years, we offer a summer intensive including the core curriculum, Sequencing Yoga Classes, and more. This approach allows you to cover most of the requirements and some of the electives all in one glorious month of immersion in Carrboro! This happens in summer 2017. See and register for the full intensive core curriculum here.
- Yoga Anatomy with Helen Tapper and Laura Terry (18-hour weekend module).
- Professionalism (media/legal/ethical) with Sage Rountree and Lies Sapp (18-hour weekend module, with online/mentorship alternative).
- Classroom Management and Safety with Sage Rountree and Lies Sapp (18-hour weekend module, with online/mentorship alternative). Sage and Lies will next offer Classroom Management April 7–9, 2017.
- Either Energetic Body or Ayurvedic Practices (18-hour weekend modules). Mira will next offer Energetic Body April 28–30, 2017.
- Sequencing Yoga Classes with Sage Rountree (40-hour weeklong module, with online/weekend/mentorship alternative). Sage will next offer this course June 26–30, 2017.
- Yoga and Positive Psychology with Michael Johnson (18-hour weekend module). Michael will next offer this course July 7–9, 2017.
Each module (or an appropriate substitute) will be offered at least twice during your five-year contract.
In addition, you will choose from a number of elective modules that meet or exceed the remaining required 50 hours.
- Yoga for Seniors with Carol Krucoff (8-day/50-hour module). As it is held at the Duke Center for Integrative Medicine, we cannot extend a discount to this program. If this is your elective, you may graduate after completing the required modules and this module.
- Africa Yoga Project with Michelle Johnson (50+ hour module). This is a fundraising endeavor culminating in a journey to Africa to teach yoga in Kenya. Arrangements need to be made individually through AYP with assistance and guidance from Michelle Johnson. We cannot extend a discount to this program. If this is your elective, you may graduate after completing the required modules and this module.
- Yoga and Activism with Michelle Johnson (10-hour weekend module).
- Teaching Yoga for Athletes with Sage Rountree (40-hour weeklong module, with online/mentorship alternative). You will need another elective module in order to graduate after completing the requirement modules. Sage next offers this module July 17–21, 2017.
- Therapeutic Essentials for Public and Private Yoga (40-hour weeklong module). Mira next offers this module February–April 2017. You will need another elective module in order to graduate after completing the requirement modules.
- Rhythmic Flow Weekend with the Kunga Drummers and Thai Yoga Massage with Kristin Cooper (10-hour weekend module), which may be coupled with Yoga for Athletes or Yoga Therapeutics to complete the required 50 hours. Kristin will offer this module in November 2016.
- Introduction to Ayurveda or Energetic Body—whichever was not chosen as a required module (12-hour weekend modules). Katie Serino next offers Introduction to Ayurveda June 24–25, 2017.
- Yoga Sutras or Sanskrit (18-hour weekend modules). Mira next offers Decoding Sanskrit May 19–21, 2017.
- Love Is Presence: Vipassana Meditation and Mindfulness Training (18-hour weekend module).
These last three or their equivalents meet the remaining elective hour requirements. Other offsite workshops will be considered as electives case by case.
Begin by completing the application, available here or by writing email@example.com. Upon acceptance, you will pay a $750 initial fee. This fee entitles you to enrollment in the 500-hour program and a 15 percent discount on all—yes, ALL!—workshops hosted by Carrboro Yoga Company, Durham Yoga Company, and Hillsborough Yoga Company for five years from your enrollment date. This discount takes the place of the smaller early-bird discount—that is, it is 15 percent off the full price. Committing to workshops early ensures they have enough students to take place. You’ll also sign our contract, and you’ll enter our system, so we will keep track of your progress toward completion.